- The other person responds
- 'yes' (exhilaration for the initiator)
- 'no' (disappointment for the initiator)
- The other person doesn't respond
- coz he/she doesn't care for the person
- coz he/she is indifferent to the matter
- coz he/she just forgets
- coz he/she is still thinking
- coz he/she wants to 'play'
- wants to show 'importance'
- wants to elicit better deal
- wants whatever
- coz whatever
My thought: consider the non-responsive person as dead and make alternative arrangements. It's sort of tragic but that 'assumption of the dead' is as great an answer as the one received from anyone who responds.
What happens when the dead suddenly wakes up? Rejoice. Or think and decide at that moment. You also have a choice - to respond or not to!