Skip to main content

Web-driven Learning Checklist for the Autodidact

When I want to learn/learn about something, I typically find myself referring to these, not necessarily in the same order:
  1. www.Dictionary.com - Recently I found myself exploring the subject of 'friction' and I came across the word 'Tribology'. Unaware of the precise meaning, it helped to check dictionary dot com before trying to explore the subject further.
  2. www.Amazon.com - Have this peculiar habit of checking books on the subject before googling it or checking it on Wikipedia.
  3. Kindle ebook samples - If one has a smartphone and has downloaded the Kindle app, it proves to be an amazing resources for sampling the subject in fairly good detail without committing monetary resources.
  4. www.Wikipedia.com - It's a no-brainer. You want a good view at almost work or subject under the sun, you might find this a very helpful resource almost every single time. Though, certain technical areas which we are not exposed to at all might be difficult to follow on occasions.
  5. www.Google.com - Search = Google. I don't need to say much. But so often I refer to it after I've checked the above 4 resources.
  6. Google Images - Typically, when I am researching a physical object, firstly I like to see its different avatars, its forms, shapes and so on. Going through the images is like enabling instant awareness and invoking associations.
  7. www.Youtube.com - Video always convinces. Captures attention easily and facilitates concentration sometimes through entertaining and moving presentation of concepts.
  8. Twitter handles and FB pages dedicated to the term/the subject are good reminders. But they don't yet seem to aid us in learning like the other resources do.

Popular posts from this blog

Afghani Nuskha, Sex, Nudity & Beer

Yes, these've garnered greatest eyeballs on my blog. I'm sure all who've landed on my blog searching for these were lured by the headlines and disappointed by the content ;). An experiment of sorts, it's got good result. Let me call this the short-term dynamics and the dominance of 'baser' instincts. Rest you can infer.

Have a great Monday!

Afghani Nuskha & Japani Tel

Today's Rajasthan Patrika, last page, premium spots :). Mumbai's local trains also carry similar things...

David Damron on filling time

Just a few moments back I read this guest post by David Damron (of The Minimalist Path) on ZenHabits. Fantastic read. Simple to apply and see the result for yourself. So, am publishing the same post here. Spread the message far and wide (for it is mighty important) :).

In the post below, forget the word Materialism. It isn't such a 'spiritual' lesson after all; though it could be if you want to take it that way. My point is it might just help you to set some worthy goals for yourself.

---

Cutting the Cord to Materialism
Let’s start with an exercise … Grab a small sheet of paper and a pen or pencil.After you read the following question, please take 5 deep breaths before answering.Write your response to the up-coming question on your piece of paper in one sentence.Here is your question to answer:

If you had the opportunity to do one activity for one week without any worry about finances, cost, or other outside commitments, what would you love to do for this week?

I hope you …