Thursday, January 14, 2010

Visual clutter and what I did last night

Last couple of weekends have been terrible. Filled with fatigue and boredom. Why the fatigue? Coz I read, read and read. And read not one book. But simultaneously was on to four or five books. Why boredom? Precisely the same reason. Was only reading and doing nothing else. Just reading.

I have this habit. I keep buying books, left right and center. And start reading each of the books as soon as I buy. With the result that I had 16 books in total with bookmarks on my shelf. And I felt like these books were staring at me every day. As much as these books were visible to me, as much was my anxiety at having left them midway, and about thinking of finishing them.

And I was exasperated just seeing those books with bookmarks lying on my shelf. More than the activity of reading, now the books as objects were filling my eyes and my mind, and consequently, my time.

While driving back home last evening I simply asked myself, "What is it that I want?"

I said, "I want a room painted all white and all empty, with just one thing: the thing that I want to spend my time with. Be that a book, or drum-set, or leather and leather tools..."

The key is one thing to focus and apply myself on and fill my time with without distractions. Empty room of the sort I just described is might tough in Mumbai. So this is what I did. I banished all but one book from my sight. And I said to myself, "I am not gonna touch another book until I am through with this."

The morning was peaceful and brighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment